Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Giving It Up

It can be hard to give up the type of diet you have been eating your entire life but the change can be a positive one. Whether an individual chooses to become vegan for moral reasons due to animal cruelty or health reasons, it will bring many benefits. I noticed that once I started eating this way I had more energy, my skin was clear, my hair was stronger, I lost weight, and overall I felt better. With these results it became a no brainier to me to continue eating this way. The first thing I did was I threw out all the junk in my fridge and pantry that wasn't on my list of approved foods. If it was there for me to see then I would be tempted. The first few months are the hardest and takes dedication so it's easier when you don't have to look at it when you are at home. Then I went shopping...and that can be a lot of fun because you get to try out new things and find what you like most. I found many substitutes for my dairy such as soy milk and soy cheese and also imitation meat. Plus there are great non dairy cookies and ice cream so I never felt deprived of sweets and snacks. But don't get me wrong I went through many rounds of bad imitation cheeses and meats until I found the one I liked. There are great places to shop for vegan friendly foods like Mother's Market, Trader Joe's, and Whole Foods. But local grocery stores also have a small section that carry these products as well. So if this is the path you are on then try and have fun with it!


Despite the common belief that drinking milk or eating eggs does not kill animals, commercially-raised dairy cows and egg-laying chickens, whether factory-farmed or 'free range,' are slaughtered when their production rates decline.

Vegan Action - http://www.vegan.org/about_veganism/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment